Personalized Doormat

What’s better than receiving a personalized doormat?  How about making a personalized doormat for only $7!
The following is a tutorial on how you can turn this…..
….into this!
The doormats are from Walmart and cost only $6.98.
Once you have your mats, select two round objects that are different sizes.  I found two plates, a large and a small.  First trace the larger circle with a permanent marker.
Then trace the smaller circle.
Next, print an initial in a font of your choice.  My computer wouldn’t make the letters large enough.  So I went online and googled “Letter K images” and found a font that I liked. Then dragged the image into Pages (which is Mac’s Word program) and dragged the corners of the image to enlarge it to the correct size.  Another option is to print a letter on your computer and run to Kinko’s to enlarge it on the copier. Cut out your letter.
Measure the center of the circle and place the letter in the correct spot.

Trace the letter with a permanent marker.

Grab some craft paint. I used the $0.99 bottle of paint from Michael’s and an old paintbrush.
Start painting.

I painted two of these is less than 30 minutes, so it’s really a quick (and did I mention inexpensive?!) project!  They make great teacher gifts, hostess gifts or a treat for yourself!

Only one more to go and my teacher gifts will be complete!

Have fun creating!! (Note: The best place to use these are under a covered porch,where the weather won’t further deteriorate them.  I may try and spray an acrylic coat on top to see if that extends their life a bit.)

Jen

I’m linking up to:http://www.momnivores-dilemma.com/i heart naptimehome maker on a dimefun to craftby stephanie lynndiy showoffthe allred adobehomestead revival, the shady porch, home stories a to z, mrs hines class, saved by suzy, the corson cottage, serenity now, centsational girl, famingo toes, aka design, tutus and tea parties, sarahndipities, the inspired room, at home with k, a bowl full of lemons, saved by love creations, crafty scrappy happy, the charm of home, stuff and nonsense, somewhat simple, the 36th avenue, whipper berry, chic on a shoestring decorating, shabby art boutiquehouse of hepworths, blue cricket designsallie makes, ninth and bird, laurie anna’s, blissful rhythm, the southern product queen, the brambleberry cottage, new nostalgia, eye candy, chicken scratch ny, coastal charm, tip junkie, skip to my lou, debbie doos, southern hospitality, my girlish whims, home is where my story begins, sisters of the wild west, between naps on the porch, the shabby nest, my uncommon slice of suburbia, home sweet home, common ground,  michele raven designs,  beneath my heart, french country cottage, 2805, fingerprints on the fridge, simple home life, nifty thrifty sunday
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. Such a fun gift idea! Thank you for stopping by me blog. And yes, Elizabeth does great work. I highly recommend her.

2. This is such a great gift idea! You'd never know it was just $7! Love it! I'm a new follower. I hope you'll follow me back but no pressure.

3. This is so smart! I may have to do this for gifts in the future! Thanks for sharing 🙂

4. Courtney {a thoughtful place} says:

Wishing you had been in my classroom when I was a teacher. So darling. You have inspired me to make my own!

5. Very clever! Love it.

6. One in the SAHM says:

This is super cute and easy! It will be the perfect addition to our new home! And a great housewarming gifts for future friends as well! Thanks!

7. Nicolette @ Momnivore's Dilemma says:

I agree with the commenter above: what a great housewarming gift {and for under $10!}…you can't beat that…

Or a neighbor gift…

If you have a moment, stop by and share this personalized doormat gift idea at my Holiday Link.

8. D @ The Shady Porch says:

Awesome teacher gift (says the wife of a teacher) hehe! Actually, I think it's a great gift for anyone..very thoughtful to give ANY personally embellished, personalized gift! I would love to have you share this project at my party!

9. Cassie {Hi Sugarplum!} says:

Great job — thanks for linking up!

10. Katie@{The Allred Abode} says:

Love this idea! I would love for you to link up to my new party, Monday Myriad Linky Party

11. Honey at 2805 says:

Terrific! Thank you for linking this wonderful project to Potpourri Friday!

12. Cathy @My 1929 Charmer says:

Really like the idea, and whoever is getting as gifts is lucky to know you. Thanks for showing us how to do. I'd like to use outside, what acrylic would you spray on top? Thanks for sharing over at Sunday's Best.

13. Holly @ Down to Earth Style says:

Such an Awesome IDEA. Looks so custom and exspensive.

14. mrshinesclass says:

Thanks so much for sharing at my Show & Tell party! I love this project.

Sharon @ mrshinesclass

15. Nicolette @ Momnivore's Dilemma says:

Hey Jen!

Featuring your doormat tonight at Creative Juice. I'm also sharing it at my pinterest in the handmade gifts. I am headed to walmart this week in hopes I can find a few of these blank mats!

Take care…

16. The Corson Cottage says:

Thanks for sharing at our party Jen! I am totally making this. The best part is I have this rug already on my front porch. Great idea!

17. Jennifer @ Just A Girl says:

I love this idea, how fun and easy!

18. this is super cute ! i think i will try it !! i just have to check if i can find doormats that cheaply here in australia …

19. Cristin {Simplified Bee} says:

what a great idea and gift!

20. melissa * 320 Sycamore says:

It looks great! I love that you used stuff you already had around..very custom looking 🙂

21. That looks awesome! I've been eyeing one at Bed Bath & Beyond but it's $40 and I definitely do not have $40 to spend on a porch rug! I'm inspired to do this!

22. Kristle Jones says:

Love this! Gotta love anything monogrammed, right?! I linked up with Centsational Girl too ; )

xo Kristle

23. Katie@{The Allred Abode} says:

Featured you on my Blog Hop Party today! Monday Myriad Blog Hop

24. Tutus & Tea Parties says:

I love how these came out. I am going to make one for my home once the holiday craziness is over! Thanks for sharing!

25. This is such a great gift idea. How easy and thrifty. I am glad you did not have to use a Silhouette. I don't have one and am so sad when I see a great project I can't do because of it. Thanks for sharing.
    Ruth

26. ✿ⒹⒺⒺ✿@ A Lapin Life says:

The mat looks fantastic! I love how quick and easy this is.

Dee

27. The Corson Cottage says:

Hi Jen! Thanks again for joining our link party last week! I loved this so much I'm featuring it as this week's party ~ Carrie

28. Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique says:

Very clever.
    I'd love it if you could link this project up at my Simply Christmas Inspiration party ~ http://shabbyartboutique.blogspot.com/2011/12/inspiration-friday_16.html

29. This is an absolutely BRILLIANT idea! I want to do one for my own house now.

I am a new follower and would love it if you checked out my blog: http://www.creatingyourhome.blogspot.com

30. I'll have to feature this, such a great idea! Have a very Merry Christmas! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

31. The Southern Product Queen says:

Wow! Love this door mat! Thanks for linking up with me at my linky part!

32. Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage says:

Great idea, Jen! You turned a ho-hum piece into a stylish décor item.

Thanks for sharing your creative project at Time Travel Thursday.

Blessings,
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage

33. This is awesome. I love it. So simple too.

34. Wow – so cute!! I am in need of a new doormat right now, too, so am definitely going to try this! Thanks so much! (Visiting from Home Stories A to Z) 🙂

35. Little Bit says:

Clever! How well does the paint hold up to foot traffic? Little Bit from DecorateWithaLittleBit.com

36. Olive Cooper says:

Wonderful Jen. The price of a doormat is crazy.

37. Plaid/FolkArt makes an "outdoor" acrylic paint that will withstand the weather – no sealer needed!

38. Strawberries and Sweet Love says:

This is awesome! Great idea.

39. Love this idea…cant wait to try it…only one concern…is it waterproof or will it smudge when it gets wet?

40. The Uncluttered Lifestyle says:

As with all the other commenters… I heart this project and will probably copycat it. I'm awarding you with the Blog on Fire Award. The post will be up this evening. Newest follower here.

41. Meredith Resnick From A Mother Seeking says:

Looks great… I am inspired!

Meredith From A Mother Seeking Come find me on my blog, A Mother Seeking…

42. pam {simple details} says:

You know I love it, Jen! 🙂 Great job and perfect for a different teacher gift!

43. This looks amazing-I’m your newest follower-stop by for a visit!

44. LOVE IT! I have one from Williams-Sonoma that is pretty worn and you can’t even see the letter anymore, but I can’t get myself to spend that much on a doormat again! I will DEFINATLEY be making this! Thanks for the inspiration and great tutorial!

• So glad you found the tutorial! And thrilled that you can re-create the doormat for such a bargain price!!! Thanks for reading.

Jen

45. Love this! Link it up at my place sometime so I can feature you again! 🙂 Your projects are so awesome!

Trackbacks

1. […] I do DIY – quite often. I love a good project and love creating.  My favorite project since blogging has been my $7 personalized doormat. […]

2. […] exciting?!  I received an email this week requesting permission to use the blog post on my $7 personalized doormat.  Do you remember this […]

3. […] you remember when I mentioned that HGTV.com selected my $7 personalized doormat tutorial to be featured on their […]

4. Personalized Teerrific Wife Golf Doormat

[…] th my heart, french country cottage, 2805, fingerprints on the fridge, simple ho […]

5. Personalized Family Nest Doormat

[…] on the porch, the shabby nest, my uncommon slice of suburbia, home sweet home, c […]