Decor for the New Year

So Christmas is over. And that means it’s time to clean up all those Christmas decorations.   But does it mean that winter is over?! No!  In fact, winter just started a few weeks ago.  Spring may have arrived in the Smith and Hawken section at Target. And cadbury eggs may be at the check out in Safeway. But my house isn’t ready for spring decor.  I’m not ready to put away my pine cones and candles…so I didn’t!

I did take down all of my “Merry Christmas” and “Noel” decor.   And I transitioned a few things from Christmas decor to winter decor.  Take a look! (and hopefully you don’t think I’ve fallen off my rocker by calling this a ‘winter look’ when it still clearly looks like Christmas!)

BEFORE – Christmas Mantel
AFTER – Winter Mantel
AFTER – Winter Mantel

I was browsing through the after Christmas sale at Target and found these trees on sale ($22 for the set!). I love them!  Maybe they are the reason I’m not wanting to pack up all of my winter decor!   I’m fairly certain that if we were on vacation at a snowy lodge, there would be white twinkling lights on trees.  So that alone is my justification for keeping these cuties up!

They came in red pots, but I wrapped them in some burlap to soften their look. I like them so much better with the burlap and twine!

On my front porch, I removed the holly from the greens, changed my chalkboard sign and removed the belt from the santa pillow. Quick and easy update for a fresh, new look!
BEFORE – front porch
AFTER – front porch
AFTER – front porch
The greens were officially dead on my dining room table. So it was in dire need of something new.  We just received a fun red tree as a gift, so the dining room table seemed like the perfect place to put it on display!
BEFORE – dining room
AFTER – dining room
And finally, here is the new look on our dining room hutch.
BEFORE – dining room hutch
AFTER – dining room hutch
That’s it from here!  Our home is still decorated for the appropriate season…winter! And maybe if we’re lucky, we might even see snow to go with my decor!
Happy New Year!
Jen
linking up to:
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. thistlewoodfarm says:

That tree on your dining room table looks fabulous! Just stopping by to wish you the happiest of new years! Blessings to you in 2012!

2. Karen G @ It's Still Life says:

Wow, what a great way to modify your Christmas decor for the new year. Love the front porch

3. poindextr says:

love the look of your large serving tray in the dining room – wish I could get another look of the room. Your presto-changes are absolutely fabulous! I'm particularly impressed with your front porch – divine!!

4. Love your 'winter" look! Following you from thrifty decor chick-stop by to say hi!

5. Lori @ Lori May Interiors says:

I completely agree Jen! It was hard to take down the Christmas decorations this year, but I'm definitely not ready for spring. I'll be adding some winter decor to my home as well.

Take care,
    Lori

6. Amanda @ Serenity Now says:

I love your winter decorations, especially since you reused a lot of your Christmas items. Great job! I got some ideas today. 🙂 Visiting from Home Stories A to Z. Hope you'll stop by my blog to say hi too. 🙂

7. Ashley Jones says:

Love it! You shared some great ideas! I'm your newest follower… follow me back at http://www.zachandashleyjones.blogspot.com. Thanks for your inspiration!

8. The Southern Product Queen says:

It's linky party time again! This post would be great at it if you wanna share it! Here is the link! http://www.thesouthernproductqueen.com/one-stop-shoppe-linky-party

9. cathy@my1929charmer says:

You did a really great job of transforming from christmas to winter. I love the idea, and am working on this theme for myself. Usually I just put everything away, now I am thinking how can I reuse. I so glad not to jump from the holiday to spring. I love winter, now I will embrace it. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration projects over at Sunday's Best

10. Kellie Collis says:

Beautiful decors! I love what you did with the trees. Have a blessed New Year, Kellie xx

11. Great posting. I'm following from The Shady Porch.

12. Jen I like how you transitioned from Christmas to a winter theme. Your home looks so pretty!
    Thanks for linking up to Before & After!

13. Love your transitions.
    I have everything down
    but the tree, which we
    will keep up, sans decorations,
    for another week or two.
    I love the twinkling white
    lights on these deep, winter
    evenings and mornings.
    Popping over from Lisa’s
    Before party…..
    Happy Weekend!

xx Suzanne

Trackbacks

1. […] the trees that I got on clearance last Christmas?  They made appearance on my mantel this year.  I love the […]